Wednesday, July 28, 2010

sometimes its ok to say enough...

So today in Tucson was the dreaded 5k run day at my crossfit gym and if you follow the main site its up there too. Normally I don't mind running, I'm actually pretty descent at shorter distances. I will fully admit I suck at long distance running yet I was actually kinda excited to tackle this beast in the heat. Well I was completely humbled today by a 5k run something that seems so natural yet so hard for so many people. I was able to finish a mile of the run before I just quit. My body literally told me NO. After the first mile my calves and lower back were seizing up so bad that each step felt excruciating, there was no way I would be able to do it two more times.

It pained me to walk away from a work out, It pained me to write DNF next to my name. Mentally I wanted to keep going, I wanted to move forward... but physically I just couldn't do it and honestly I don't need to hurt myself anymore than I already am at this point. The thing is that sometimes its OK to say when enough is enough, it is OK to tap out.

This is something I really need to work on.  Today was a step forward in terms of listening to what my body was saying physiologically. Then again I more than likely shouldn't have started the workout to begin with. While crossfit is about not giving up, it is about doing your best, it is about putting so much effort forward that you leave it all on the floor at the end. However, there comes a point when you have to say how much more can my body handle? Today for me it was only a mile run which I guess I shouldn't be disappointed in given my recent state. But, at the same time its extremely frustrating to start something you just cant finish. Mentally it is hard as well thinking back to all the times I shouldn't have finished but I did.

I can say that the entire experience is entirely humbling, what it has shown me is that I cant take anything for granted, that on any given day circumstances change. There is a difference between pushing through pain and pushing through weakness and today I listened to the cues i needed to be safe in my workout and my own skin. I am not proud about not finishing a workout in fact it will bother me until I do a 5k again. I am proud of listening to myself and realizing the difference between pushing my body and protecting it.

23 comments:

  1. What a great post -- I know that there have been plenty of times where I pushed through pain and I ended up hurting for days and unable to exercise intensely.

    A friend of my dad's can run a sub 3 hour marathon, but he has had to quit races before, because his body just couldn't go on. I remind myself of this when I am hurting and feel like I couldn't/shouldn't go on -- if this super athletic man listens to his body, I should too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing the informative blog. If you need qb support phone number then you can dial 800-901-6679 or visit us on https://urlzs.com/ps12Y

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for sharing the content. Really a nice blog and great kind of information is provided by you. We provide quickbooks technical support number +1-800-901-6679.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing the unique content. Nice blog and great kind of information is provided by you. We provide quickbooks support phone number +1-800-901-6679 for the Quickbooks user help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great king of informaytion is sharing by you in this blog. Keep writing. We provide quickbooks support phone number 1800 +1800-986-4607. Our technical support team is well professional and easy to provides you best solution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are a Quickbooks Support company. We always Provides Slution for any error. The quickbooks pro customer service phone number can be easily solved if you call us on +18009016679.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are a Quickbooks Support company. We always Provides Slution for any error. The quickbooks pro support phone number can be easily solved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot for sharing the content. Really a nice blog and great kind of information is provided by you. We provide quickbooks payroll support phone number +1-800-901-6679.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quickbooks is designed specifically for users of any Operating system. Taking into consideration that there is a large group of spectators, QuickBooks has planned to bring QuickBooks clients. For support services, you can get help from Quickbooks Proadvisor Support Phone Number +1-800-986-4591.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our Quickbooks POS Support Phone Number Provides you the best Support For POS problems. If you need Any help then Dial Helpline Number +1-800-901-6679.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can dial Quickbooks Tech Support Phone Number for instant help. In quickbooks accounting software if you face any type of issue in this. Our Highly skilled Technicians are there for you, to resolve your queries, just dial +1-800-901-6679.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks For Sharing!
    Quickbooks application can easy to use. It is user friendly software if yur are facing issue dial our Quickbooks Support In Texas 1-800-986-4591.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We Provides Quickbooks Toll Free Phone Number dial +1-800-901-6679 if you get instant solution for MAC. Our Quickbooks Mac technical support agents always provides you the suitable help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are provides a Quickbooks Support Phone Number Washington. Our support team constitutes of highly skilled & trained technicians who have years of experience in handling technical defects. It doesn’t matter how complex the issues would be. Get it resolved, from our Support team. As they are available for you, 24*7. Whenever you face any trouble, feel free to contact Quickbooks helpline 800-901-6679.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice Blog ! Is error trouble, worries you much ? Then, simply call on the Quickbooks Support Phone Number 800-986-4607. Here, you can easily resolve your issues & queries. Our Quickbooks payroll support provide you immediate assistance for your issues.

    ReplyDelete

  16. Well explained and knowledgeable blog click here for
    QuickBooks customer service for more detail dial on our QuickBooks Support phone number 844-908-0801

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well explained and knowledgeable blog click here for
    QuickBooks Technical Support phone number for more detail dial on our QuickBooks Support phone number 844-908-0801

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very well explained and knowledgeable blog click here for QuickBooks Phone Number and for more dial on our support phone number 844-908-0801

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice Blog
    QuickBooks Payroll is a widely used accounting software that is intended for the business of small as well as large sizes.
    From among other QuickBooks editions, this one is the best. Call QuickBooks Support Phone Number at 1-(888)-807-0601.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice Blog!
    Worried about QuickBooks error? Get live support 24*7 from QuickBooks expert on toll-free Number.
    Click here to know how to QuickBooks Support Phone Number 1-866-731-0656.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey! Outstanding work. For quick resolution of QuickBooks problems, dial QuickBooks Support Phone Number Texas (888)-497-2598 .
    and get instant assistance from our end.

    ReplyDelete